Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Jaunt To The Boston Housing Court

I had my administrative hearing today for the MBTA's littering citation we received last month. I was put in charge of this violation appeal (which entailed a fine). I went to the sites in question and took photographs, I contacted MBTA employee employees to sign affidavits, I filed an official appeal with the Boston Housing Court, complete with exhibits, photographs, and the whole nine yards.
The scene of the crime...

Showed up today with a witness and my supervisor to observe me plead my case with eloquence and tenacity...in suit and tie, hair gel and cologne, having rehearsed my presentation (ALL ON MY VACATION)...

And I get the charges dismissed because they couldn't find record of the ticket, and said the officer must have filed it incorrectly. So we were free to go and the ticket was dismissed...

...

I could have done NOTHING, and still got the same result. Sigh...this is often what happens in the practice of law, I have found. You only need to give 40% most of the time, but the problem is that you have no idea which 40% it is. So you must give 100% all the time to be prepared.

And I was prepared. I just wish I had a chance to say a few words besides who I represented, and the notice violation number. I would'a shown 'em good.

No comments: